Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Bathroom of my Discontent


This bathroom has been a thorn in my side for the past 15 years. I just never seem to be happy with the way it looks. It’s the one at the end of my hallway, the girls/guest bathroom. It is the one that every time that I walk down the hallway I see it and I am just never happy with the way it looks.

When we first moved here the bathroom consisted of two separate rooms; one which held the tub and toilet and the other the sink with a door in-between. So my first attempt at this room was for my girls who were 5 and 10 at the time. I painted it a pink rose color and hung a rose border around the wall. And a few months later every time I walked down that hallway the room stated to look like we used Pepto- Bismol to paint the walls with.
Next Richard and I knocked down the middle wall to make the room one big room. He painted the room restained the cabinet replaced the counter top and laid tile on the floor and that was that; so he thought. But not for me the room needed something more. Should I hang another wallpaper border or do I stencil one around the wall. I just couldn’t make a decision; so for the next few I years I would walk down that hall and think I need to do something about that bathroom.
I finally decided on a hanging a paper border because I was just too lazy to stencil one. So I went looking for the perfect border or so I thought. I found this wallpaper border that I loved, but couldn’t make up my mind how to hang it, because I didn’t want to cut off the sayings. So after many weeks of standing on a chair, the counter and the tub trying it at different places on the wall I finally figured out where I wanted it hung. But it never seemed right to me. It always looked like it was floating on the wall. And every time I went down the hall I would see that room and think I need to do something about that room.



So the other day I said to Richard, you know what I was thinking. He said uh- oh! That can’t be good!  Will I think I will paint that wall above the border in the bathroom blue, that way it will give it something to hang on to?  Now what color blue is the next question? So this week I went to Lowes and picked up a few paint chips brought them home placed them on the wall next to the border.


I asked Richard which color did he like best (like his opinion really matter) we; I mean I decided on the color.  So I went to Lowes after work to get the paint and then found another color blue and thought maybe this one would be better went home with the color chip. Yes this would do nicely so I went back to Lowes; and bought my paint, a new brush, and some tape to tape the top of the border with so that paint wouldn’t get on the border.


Oh could this little quart of Midnight Blue finally make me happy let’s find out. So I went to work I carefully ran the tape around the borer and then I painted.  


 So far so good



My view from above. Kallie and Balkie my little helpers!


We have now come to the end of my journey the corner. One can only hope that I have not now painted myself in a one (the corner)!
Now I set to cleaning up my mess; with Ariel’s help of course after all she uses this room more than me I just have to look at it. We clean the tub, the sink and floors; and rehang the pictures and shower curtains. 

 And then I stand back and I look at this room that has caused me this discontentment.

And today when I walk down the hall I see the bathroom and I smile!
 For now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visting my blog. I love it when comments are left!
Stefanie